Thursday 7 May 2009

Fake Louis Vuitton Bags and Memories of New York

I saw someone on the tube this morning with a fake Louis Vuitton handbag and it reminded me of my first day working in New York. It was early on a beautiful October morning, and as I was walking from the Red line to the office in Greenwich Street, right in the heart of the meatpacking district, a similar bag was launched through the air a block ahead and landed by the kerbside.

That kerbside happened to be directly outside my office block, and as I approached and turned the corner of the block, the owner of the bag was rolling around in the middle of the road scrapping with another lady in a full-on catfight. Both had each other’s hair grasped tightly in their fist and it was a rolling mass of fishnet tights, stilettos and leather miniskirts, set to a sound track of screeching.

I looked on in amazement as I crept past, and into my building – going up in the lift to the second floor. From there, I stood in the window and watched as the fight wore on until one of them disengaged, grabbed her bag from the kerb and ran off towards Chelsea Market, leaving the other sat forlornly in the road with blood dripping from 3 deep nail scratches on her cheek.

I hadn’t realised that the Red Light district covered that part of town, and seeing what I could only assume were 2 ladies of the night fighting over territories was not the way I’d ever dreamt my New York experience would start.

I turned to my new colleague who had been stood watching me, watching them, in amusement.

“Wow”, I said, “that’s a first – 2 women fighting in the street in full daylight!”

To which my colleague chuckled and as she walked away said “Actually, they weren’t women, they were transvestites.... Welcome to New York”.

No comments:

Post a Comment